Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pushing Through a Standstill

Okay, how many of you are project people?  You always have something going, some larger than others.  Some of you might be quilters or knitters, seamstresses, tailors, designers, artists, scrapbookers, crafters, authors, or even a combination of those or many more. 

Have you ever gotten overwhelmed?  Wanted to start a new project, or a new story, a new post, a new book, a new painting, a special scrapbook page..., but not known where to start?  How to start?  Spent all your time looking around for inspiration instead of sitting down and putting paper to pen or needle to thread?  

This is me for the past several weeks.  Many times I have tried to start, but to tell you the truth, procrastination is as much to blame for my lack of productivity as anything else that I could try to blame.

So many times in the past few weeks I have just stared at the screen, stared at the project, stared at the laundry to be put away, stared at the lesson to be planned, and just turned away, knowing in my heart that it was not the right way to handle things.  Conviction about my lack of effort took me back to the Bible, to see what God's word had to say about the effort we put out, and procrastinating.

It is made plain in many verses throughout the book of Proverbs that being slothful is not something that we should work at attaining.  From irritation to starvation, the descriptions of sluggards and their lives does not paint a pretty picture! 

Proverbs 21:25  
The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour.

Proverbs 19:15  
Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.

Proverbs 10:26  
As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him. 

Proverbs 6:6-11
6Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:

Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,

Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?

10 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:

11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

Proverbs 20:4 
 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing.

Instead, I must remember that everything I do is not to look good in front of people or to lift up myself, but that everything I do is ultimately for the Lord, and if I do nothing, then I've done nothing for Him.  

Every single day needs to begin with time in His word, remembering who my Lord and Savior is, and that nothing is stronger or higher than He is.  

The tasks that may seem insurmountable in my own eyes become manageable, achievable, prioritized and relevant when I view them through His.

Colossians 3:23  
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

God Bless,
Sonja 




The KJV Blog Directory would love it if you subscribe, follow on twitter, or like us on facebook.

No comments: