Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Effort is Required

Like those packages that read "Assembly is Required", being a Christian comes with an unseen label that reads "Effort is Required".  Yes, you could go through life putting out nothing, but that is not what God has asked of those of us who choose to follow Him.  He has asked us for our time, our attention, our obedience, in short, our EFFORT.  To have a strong relationship with Christ and to truly be living for Him can be painful sometimes.  There can be bumps and bruises, cuts and scrapes, but the most notable thing at the end of our life on earth, is that we should be tired.  Worn out, rung out, empty, because we should have given it all.

This one came to me the other day while I was puzzling over something I was trying to write.  "Trying to write is like being a Christian.  There are always lots of distractions and fun, shiny things to catch your attention and draw you away.  You have to put in the sweat and the effort to stay on the track, and accomplish what you need to accomplish."

I leave you with some powerful words written by the Apostle Paul.  Paul was nearing the end of his life here on earth, but he knew he'd done what was asked.  He was wrung out and exhausted, and had been through much in his life, but he had "fought a good fight" and finished his course.  Above all, he kept the faith and kept working for God.

2 Timothy 4
1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.


In Him, 
Sonja


The KJV Blog Directory would love it if you subscribe, follow on twitter, or like us on facebook.

No comments: